Thursday, December 14, 2006

Christmas around the world 9

Christmas at home with the Brit
It is time for me to invite you into my home for a UK Christmas - brit style. This year, Christmas celebrations started earlier than usual. I was able to do something that reminds me of my sister and father who died a number of years ago around Christmas time. Two days ago I was able to play Santa Claus at a local children's nursery, giving presents to around 50 children. It reminded me of two of the best Christmas times ever.

1967
My family (all 7 of us) lived in a large detached house in the Kent countryside. It was nearing Christmas. On the second Saturday in December my parents were busy cooking, mostly sweet items, for what seemed like the 5,000 and all of us kids were tasked with wrapping up 20 or so toys, each one with a gift tag and a name unknown to us. At two o'clock in the afternoon, a minibus pulled up in the driveway and unloaded what seemed like a never-ending stream of children, some shy, some loud and shouting, some looking puzzled. They were shepherded into the house, we were asked to organise games, and fun things to do until, while the parents and minders organised the tea area. By the end of the afternoon, the house looked like a bomb had hit it. We sat them all down for tea with siblings and me acting as waiters. Every child just dug in and it was not long before the table was just a mess of cake, jelly, ice cream and Christmas cake.

After tea, all the kids gathered in the large lounge and my father picked up a small quiet African lad and sat him on his knee. Then he told them a story of Christmas, one that he had made up especially for the day.

What we did not find out until later was that he had been to a local Children's home and arranged this some weeks earlier. It was one of the most magical Christmases of my life.

1984

My sister died on the 20th December. All looked bleak for Christmas day. In some ways it was. However, as for every time of darkness there is some light, it had its good points. By this time, all of the family members had left home, were married and had their families to spend Christmas with. However, that Christmas day every son, (6 in all) was encouraged by their partners to join our mother on our own for Christmas dinner (and we did the cooking!) and rejoin them later in the day.

We spent four hours together as a family for the first time in over a decade. Those four hours saw some tears, but also saw a great number of smiles as we talked and laughed about Christmas times we spent with our sister and father. It was literally, one of the most memorable Christmases of my life.


What these two Christmases have proved to me is that every Christmas is different and every one has its unique and special times. Christmas is not all about commercial things, it is about giving and the greatest gift is love. I try to wrap that up every year and give it to those close to me.

I hope that you all have a special and unique Christmas this year.
the Brit

7 Comments:

Blogger Amira Colter said...

Thanks for sharing your personal Christmas story. The season's feasting and gift buying does tend to make us forget that we ought to give not just gifts, but love as well. Have a blessed Christmas.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Brit & Grit said...

Hi Maia

The good thing about memory is that you can recall the special times. I hope Christmas brings you happiness.

Hey Erik

It would be great to have a global Christmas with friends from around the world. I will see what I can do about the flights my friend :-)

Have a wonderful time this Christmas.

the Brit

2:51 AM  
Blogger TomCat said...

Brit, your father was a special guy. Thanks for sharing.

4:47 AM  
Blogger Brit & Grit said...

Hi Tomcat

Thanks for the comment. I guess most of think that about our fathers. Mine would always say that he was an ordinary man. But he did have some special ideas sometimes.

the brit

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brit...
Your Christmas of '84, especially touched me, perhaps in part, because I am a sister of one brother, whom I treasure more, after he survived a cardiac arrest at age 45, but with some neuro and memory deficit.

Your Christmas of '84, I picture, a family of sons with their mum, even almost feel a tear inside as I read your memory, yet a warm feeling as you describe that day of "family" and "sharing."

Christmas of '84, being single, I still would have been working Christmas eves in an intensive care unit. A few of those Christmas nights, I do have vivid recall of. One, I remember watching through a hospital window, the snow gently falling in big flakes, while watching over a small boy, unconscious, supported by a ventilator and hearing the soft music of German Christmas carols from the small tape player that his parents had brought to his bedside, along with the subtle
"whoosh-whoosh" of the ventilator and "beep-beep" of the cardiac monitor. I could hold my breath recalling that.

Thankyou again for sharing your memories. To make mention also, of the Christmas where your father arranged for all the children to come to your home--wow! What a wonderful way to share the spirit of giving and successfully pass on that same spirit to one's children.
Being Santa for that day the other week; your father would perhaps be smiling upon you from heaven?

Maybe you will be with your siblings, some of them, this Christmas, too? Wishing you a warm and peaceful Christmas.

Vicky H.

(Oh my! I went "on" again, didn't I?)

4:33 AM  
Blogger Brit & Grit said...

Hi Vicky,

Thank you for your comments. It is nice to have a platform to share memories on.

Have a wonderful time this Christmas.

the Brit

12:37 AM  
Blogger Megan Bayliss said...

Oh Brit
that bought a tear to my eye. What lovely stories.
All the very best.
Mxxx

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites

UK News from telegraph.co.uk