Monday, November 27, 2006

Winter in the UK


Late November and we are at that time of year, the dawn of winter. As is usual in the UK, the sun has retreated several light years away from us, bring down temperatures to near fridge-like levels; the clouds have roused themselves from their summer softness, filled up to darkness with contaminated water and wandered across the world to rain it on my doorstep. In fact, some days the downfall is so heavy that one could tip shampoo on one’s head, stick it out the window and get a hair wash in seconds. If you walk to work with washing powder in your pocket the weather will wash clothes for you.

We are looking forward to those colder days when the dawn is greeted with those soft white coats of frost covering. Pretty as a postcard until you walk out of the front door and, not knowing that the rain has set in a sheet of ice, find yourself flying base over apex through the air to land in a heap in the front hedge.

Following this period of time, the snow will arrive, though doubtfully in time for Christmas. A time of snowball fights on blocked motorways; mobile orange and blue Christmas lights supplied courtesy of the many roadside assistance vehicles; train racing to nowhere at 70mph because of ice on the rails and Carol singing because she is stuck in a six foot snowdrift.

We know when winter is over because that is the time when the local authorities finally send out the snowploughs to clear non-existent drifts and the spring rains return again.


However nature provides relief from this with white grass blankets across ever garden, red-breasted Robins singing on the window sill; children’s laughter as they toboggan across the fields and carrot-nosed snowmen smiling at the world.


In winter every cloud has a silver (or should that be white) lining.

the brit

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last winter in Scotland, I found myself in pajamas by 5 pm each day because it had been dark for hours.
It was a difficult transition to make from New England, and there were certainly times I cursed. But the haars that would roll in were some of the most beautiful weather moments I've ever seen.

Because the house in Scotland was an old one, it was also a cold place, and I felt some afternoons that sitting at my computer was the coldest place on earth. I'm toasty warm this year back in Connecticut with the fireplace (it works unlike the ones in Scotland) near my desk, and soon the snow will start to fall ...and fall and fall. But I miss Scotland!

6:19 AM  
Blogger Brit & Grit said...

Hi VMH

Scotland does provide some of the most beautiful weather scenes in the UK I agree.

Have a great winter in Connecticut and thank you for your comments.

By the way there is a global look at Christmas coming here soon.

regards

the brit

7:05 AM  
Blogger hyacinths and biscuits said...

Hi! I've only been reading your blog for a week or so no, but I really like it and love the concept. I have a list of blogs I like on mine, mostly for my own benefit so I have a list of links somewhere. But anyway, I put your link up, if you'd rather not have a stranger linking to your blog or whatever, just let me know and I'll take the link down.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Brit & Grit said...

Hi Hyacinths

Thank you for your comments. Of course we have no objections and we are glad you like our work. We would be happy to provide a link to you on here if you don't mind.

We have another blog at http://britandgrit.wordpress.com/
which is a more humorous look at everything in life in shorter portions.

the brit

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites

UK News from telegraph.co.uk