Friday, October 20, 2006

Next up for discussion is royalty, as in people who are. Since we don't have any actual royals over here, I've had to expand the subject to include, "and people who get treated like." That would be our ever growing group of celebrities. These days the American public is so desperate for people to fawn over, that anyone who is, or has been, involved in any facet of the entertainment industry is treated like a born noble.

They get all sorts of perks ranging from not needing reservations at restaurants to not getting beaten by the police. That last bit comes from the recent arrest of rapper 50 Cent. There are so many things about this story that prove my point that I feel compelled to go into detail.

Let's start with some background on rap. This is a musical form in which the vocalist talks instead of sings, and which often uses a turn table as an instrument. As best I can tell, it is a spin off of square dancing, although, in the performances I've glimpsed, the groups haven't gotten the dancing part down yet.



Back to Mr. Cent and his brush with the law. It appears that, while out for a ride in his silver Lamborghini, he violated a traffic law and was pulled over by New York's finest. As it turns out (as I recall from the press reports), he had no driver's license, no proof of insurance, and no proof that he owned the car. At this point, if I had been behind the wheel, the cops would have beaten me unconscious, thrown me in jail, and impounded the car. Of course, the only way I would be driving a Lamborghini is if I had stolen it, so this reaction would be justified. However, Mr. Cent was allowed to call someone who brought proof of ownership and drove 50 away.

Other things in this affair reek of royalty. How can someone who can't afford more than half a dollar for a name, come up with over $100,000 for a car? Why can't he afford car insurance? For that matter, why would anyone want an automobile with a top speed of better than 150 MPH in New York where, I've heard, the average speed of traffic is given in negative numbers?



One example doesn't prove my point, I suspect you're thinking. Then how about this woman? She just adopted an infant from some country in Africa. If there isn't a royalty factor at work, then explain how someone who dresses like that in public was allowed anywhere near a child, let alone given custody of said toddler. The woman doesn't even have two names! What's the child going to be called? Personally, I think that you should at least be able to provide a last name for your adopted child, and no one who wasn't expecting the royal treatment would even dare apply.



Allow me to close this out by dropping two other bits of evidence that don't even need explanation: O.J. Simpson, Michael Jackson.

the Grit

1 Comments:

Blogger Amira Colter said...

Fame has its own perks and pitfalls. An ordinary mortal such as myself can only sigh in envy for the perks; they can have the drug overdose, marital problems and occassional head bashings anytime. I think these 'celebrity royals' should start using their status for something more than tabloid fodder antics.

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites

UK News from telegraph.co.uk