Saturday, October 28, 2006


Another day, another post. Someone left a comment, notice I'm not naming names here, wanting to see my truck's butt. Who am I to deny the simple pleasures of life to a fellow web surfer?

Now, down to business, which is really the Brit's area of expertize, but I at least try to hold up my end of the blog. Today's topic is men at home. I would guess that means, what it's like to work at home. Of course, in my case it means working at home, around the home, and, far too often, on the home.

To give a brief background on how I arrived at this situation, I'll start near the middle of the story, which is the pertinent part. A few years back, while I was in between jobs, the thought crossed my mind that writing things people can read would be more fun than writing stuff for consumption by computers. Working out the finances, it turned out that after taxes on my part of the family income, and if I did most of the things we paid other people to do so my wife and I could both work, it was a break even deal. So I became ...

Super Bob! At any moment in time I could shift identities and be: Chauffeur Bob, Janitor Bob, Handyman Bob, House Keeper Bob, Chef Bob (the one I'm best at,) Exterminator Bob, Shopper Bob, Lawn Care Bob, Errand Boy Bob, Auto-mechanic Bob, Interior Decorator Bob, and, last but far from least, Pet Care Bob. At least we didn't have a swimming pool. However, even though I had heard from women all my life just how difficult this multiple personality role is, through some joke by the Powers That Be, as it turns out, I'm good at it. I kept a reasonably clean house, a tidy lawn, dropped our food bill by half while improving the quality of our diet considerably, shepherded our son from seventh grade through high school, and still found time to write a big stack of short stories and a novel.

Life was good. Then a sudden death in the family left the farm down the road without a farmer, and the big old plantation house without a caretaker. In an ultra-secret, confidential, closed door meeting of all the important family members, to which my invitation arrived a day late, it was decided by unanimous vote that I would be promoted to farmer, in addition to my other duties.

What was not mentioned up front was that in addition to Farmer Bob, I now had to be Lumberjack Bob, Tractor Mechanic Bob, Tour Guide Bob (the old part of the house is very historic,) Game Warden Bob and Sheriff Bob (people keep sneaking onto our property to hunt and / or go off roading without permission,) and Caterer Bob (now that we have room, we throw some big parties.)

It took a year or four to get the hang of the extra powers, but they're under control now, for the most part. Thus, while I spent a couple of hours before dawn catching up on email and reading some blogs, did the shopping for the weekend meals, scrubbed the bath, kitchen, and living room in anticipation of my son's visit this evening (along with his future wife,) shopped for an elderly friend of the family who is just recovered from a broken hip, stacked some more firewood on the porch, and played care taker and referee to these monsters (and the three cats not shown), I still found time to get this post ready.


So, you can call me Bob, you can call me Farmer Bob, or you can call me Super Bob - the Wise, Lord and Master of My Domain and Domestic Duties and Pets, He Who (after cooking the evening meal, serving, stuffing the dirty dishes in the washer, all the while making small talk to entertain His guests) Shall Drink Heavily and Relax!

the Grit

5 Comments:

Blogger Amira Colter said...

Super Bob it is then! :o). If I can manage to do half of what you do everyday, I'll be the happiest non-mandarin speaking housewife in Taiwan! I'll not bore you with the things that I can't do but I really enjoyed reading this post.
Keep it up.

3:41 AM  
Blogger Brit & Grit said...

Thanks Maia. If I hadn't had one of those days, getting ready for my son to arrive, it probably wouldn't have come out like that. I can't wait to write about our next Christmas party. Last year, I cooked finger food for 60+.

Of course, I'm also amazed at what necessity can make me do. Like today, I was doing some maintenance on the tractor, and I couldn't get a part to go back on. So, I spent half an hour bending a bit of wire into the needed tool to reach into a tight space and get the job done. Not rocket science, and, in the Grand Scheme of Things, not much to crow about. However, it was a good feeling when it worked.

If I've learned anything in the last few years, it's that we are all capable of doing much more than we think we can. Heck, not too long ago, if I stoped to see if you needed help while you were pulled over on the side of the road, my only option would have been to give you a ride to the nearest repair shop. Last month, I stoped to help a stranded motorest, and managed to patch them up enough to drive to the repair shop, saving them a $60 towing fee.

Next, I'm going to learn how to wield. If I survive the experience, I'll write about it ;)

the Grit

2:27 PM  
Blogger Amira Colter said...

I'm sure you'll do just fine. As for me, I'm working on being able to do more than what I think I could. I shudder to think that after 10 years or so, I won't be able to account for the years that have passed.

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That poor pickup truck just looks plain nekkid without at least a NSACAR sticker on the back of it.
Don't you get some funny looks down there for it running around bare-assed???

9:44 AM  
Blogger Brit & Grit said...

Actually, it does have a racing sticker. It's in the corner of the rear window. You can't see it in the photo because of the cargo box. What gets me the most funny looks is the noise. The muffler got ripped off a few years ago, so Old Blue is kinda loud. The fuel economy did improve a bit though.

the Grit

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites

UK News from telegraph.co.uk